Are you interested in starting a hot tub company from scratch? Here are some things you need to know before you begin!
Be self-energizing and self-motivated. If you want to be a successful business owner you will need to feel comfortable taking things into your own hands and making something of it. Here are some quick tips on how to be self-motivated:
- It doesn’t come quickly. Like almost any company, there is no “build it and they will come” philosophy with hot tub sales. You will need to develop your company with the following aspects if you want to be successful:
Be willing to work long business weeks. We will be the first to admit that hot tub sales aren’t a walk in the park. Remember, there’s no “build it and they will come” philosophy, and there’s no guarantee that the customers who do walk through your doors are going to purchase a spa. Being a successful hot tub business owner means a lot of hard work and dedication. It means you need to be committed to your store and your salespeople’s success. You will almost certainly have some 60-hour weeks, but if you are working those long hours then you can be sure that you will see success.
Be goal-oriented. We have mentioned it before, but we can’t say it enough: set goals. If you do not have goals then you don’t have anything to shoot for and your progress will be slow and unfocused. Set goals that stretch you and your sales team and you’ll find yourself achieving more than you thought was possible.
Have an eye for detail. As the owner of your new hot tub store, the burden lies on you to make sure things are running smoothly and that you’re earning the best margins possible. It means that you are solely responsible for making sure that when a customer enters your store, even the smallest details are covered to make sure their experience is as good as possible. This means you need to either have or develop an eye for detail. Complacency can turn into poor customer service which will poorly effect your business.
No shoe-string budgets. You must be properly funded. You already know the risks of starting a new small business — if you want to drastically increase your odds, then make sure you are properly funded. If you want to severely decrease your probability of success, then start your business investing as little money as possible.
Size matters. Don’t get the biggest store in town. It is better to have a line outside a small store than to have an empty big store. Remember, your overhead is proportional to the size of the store and if you traffic outgrows your current location you can always move into a bigger building.
- Set goals and set them high. Don’t be afraid to stretch yourself! (For more tips on setting goals, read our 12 Steps to Setting Goals)
- Take risks. Step out of your comfort zone and try new strategies. Brainstorm and don’t be afraid to think outside the box.
- Be energetic and maintain that energy even during the difficult times. When you are energized, your employees will be energized which will also fuel your customers.
- Believe you can succeed. The mind is a powerful tool. If you act as though you are certain success will come to you then you are much more likely to succeed.
What do you think is the most important thing to know before starting a hot tub company? Let us know by commenting below!